Blog's Translator

martedì 17 luglio 2012

My Dream Home: "Think Big and Act Small"

An Italian stamp of 1980 worth 150 lire (about 0,08 euro cents)
with the Castle of Miramare in Trieste, Italy 
My dream home is in
the shape
of a crab. 



"My dream home is not a castle, it is not a mansion and it is not a home on two levels. My dream home is a small, basic home for two, in the shape of a crab (my horoscope sign and the sign of my sweetheart) with the pincers open as large as possible like in a big hug.

This house is on one level and the center of the home is a large kitchen with a laundry room and a guests' restroom. On each side of the kitchen, we will find: on the right side my sweet-heart's apartments, on the left side my apartments. Each apartment with a sleeping room with individual bathrooms and additional rooms according to our jobs and hobbies..."

While describing my dream home,  about three months ago my fiancé invited me to drive to Veneto to visit with his relatives. I immediately thought of my parents on their honeymoon in Italy and their story of the stops they did in the Veneto and Friuli-Venezia -Giulia regions: Venice, Castello di Miramare and Grado. This time out of these destinations I could visit the Castello di Miramare (Miramare Castle) only and it was my first time there. This famous castle is located in Trieste in theFriuli-Venezia-Giulia region. 

While there, I was very happy to know the story of  Archduke Ferdinand Maximilian of Hapsburg and his wife Charlotte of Belgium. Of course, the view and the surrounding woods and gardens are wonders. You may admire the see from any corner of the castle but something really interesting caught my attention and it is all about my dream home. 

Indeed the castle's ground floor was reserved to Ferdinand Maximilian and Charlotte of Belgium's private home.  This is where they first moved on Christmas eve of 1860 when the castle was still unfinished. Herewith follows the private ground floor of Maximilian and Charlotte, starting from the rooms on our right: 
An idea for a kitchen corner with lots of light
and colors
  1. Maximilian's sleeping room (on the wall a painting of Charlotte) with bathroom;
  2. Maximilian's office;
  3. Maximilian's library;
  4. DINING ROOM
  5. Charlotte's lounges;
  6. Charlotte's sleeping room;
  7. Charlotte's dressing room.
I was ravished to see my dream home in front of me. This is exactly my dream home. I could see Maximilian and Charlotte there as well and their wonderful love story. Likewise, this is the perfect home structure for me and for my beloved (rooms to be personalized of course).

My soul mate likes the idea. We were sharing the same idea to start with without being aware of it. The individual bathroom in particular is something vital for the long life of my relationship. To me, intimacy is something different from sharing the same bathroom. I want my own bathroom and I want my own sleeping room. I love to share the kitchen! I love the fact that we may take leave after lunch and he may pay a visit to my apartments by asking "Permesso?" (tr. "may I come in?). This is true dreaming. I would feel like a princess!

Going back to the Miramare apartments, by rotating the above list to the right we may see the shape of my "crab's home": the kitchen is the head (the eyes are large windows) and the pincers are the apartments: left side (7. 6. 5. ) + 4. + (3. 2. 1. )  right side 

In the house, I like the scent of flowers in every room
and drawers. 
I was so happy to admire such a beauty at the "Castello di Miramare" that I went back to see everything backward and check that I wrote down my notes about my dream home correctly. When we went backward a tour guide grumbled that there are always some ignorant people, who do not take tour paths the correct way. I wonder why there are people who do not mind their own business. I did not reply nor did my beloved. We were not causing any hindrance to the incoming visitors and I was in the process of studying something important for my life.

Cosimo I de' Medici's favorite sign,
the Capricorn. 


I wish to add a short note about horoscope signs. In the Renaissance and in classical ages horoscope signs were much in use, i.e. in-home frescoes, family crests, and personal mottos, such as in Cosimo I de' Medici's symbols of his personal virtues. Not necessarily horoscope signs were birth's sign of the eminent personality.

As an example, Capricorns are everywhere in Palazzo Vecchio in Florence (terracotta floors, marbles, frescoes), originally Cosimo de' Medici and his wife Eleonora of Toledo's residence. The Capricorn is represented by a goat for the part of the bust and the fish for the rest of the body. Usually surrounded by the seven stars of its constellation.

Cosimo I de' Medici was born under a different constellation -Gemini- but he was probably fond of the month of January -the month of the Capricorn (December 22nd-January 21st)- for a few important reasons. Indeed he was crowned grand-duke of Tuscany in January 1570 but it must not be the reason for such a choice. I will be back about this subject as I am curious to know more.

However, it's interesting to know what happened when the Catholic religion took over horoscope signs' number (12) and replaced them with Jesus' apostles.  That's when horoscope signs seemed to be confined to some pagan subculture with devilish issues. This was not true when considering constellations as a whole with our life on earth. It was a genuine expression of a cultural concept. In Europe reading constellations is part of our heritage from the Greeks and the Romans' world.
Regarding horoscope signs and their less engaging usage to this date, when describing a newborn's features,  I have always heard that babies born under the sign of cancer will really love home!


I visited the Castle of Miramare last year for the first time in my life, my parents were here on their honeymoon, this is why I wanted to visit! 


-----------------------------------------
- Original Posts by Roberta Niccacci -


follow my blog and like my Facebook page to receive blog updates: www.facebook.com/friendsofcama

email: friendsofcama@gmail.com 

Nessun commento: