Blog's Translator

mercoledì 3 luglio 2013

A Matter of Perspective

Deruta's crest: a tower with the rue plant on top of it
with Perugia's griffin next to it, a gift of the town of Perugia. 


We finally made it: Deruta is almost destroyed. The Latins said 'Nomen est Omen' (tr. Omen is a name), since I was a little girl I have read and heard that the origin of the name 'Deruta' meant 'destroyed', in ancient Italian: diruta, direpta.

We had never thought about the importance of the town's name. We have completely forgotten the lessons of our ancestors, they were very wise and positive.

I am wondering how we have become so pessimistic in Europe, we always go for the negative interpretation of things, maybe in times of recession, it would be a better idea to change our perspective. This is the reason why I am researching my inspiration in the Italian Renaissance period leading me back to the classical ages, thinking positively as much as I can.

detail of the plant of the rue
on top of the tower
In these past four years and a half, I have assisted in the decline of the town of Deruta, I am aware of all the reasons that have caused such a decline and I have much to say about it. As a matter of fact, I can really be of help to recreate something interesting. I have made attempts to help other businesses without success and now know what I can do and not do. Now it is time for action, I am very reactive to this situation in a very positive way. My strength comes from the fact that Cama, my family workshop, is still alive in my heart, their heritage is very valuable and I am now carrying a treasure of beauty and values within myself. In recession times this is very favorable to travel light!

My first question is: where would an entrepreneur start the restoration of a company in terms of logistics? From the workshop's name. Let's do the same with the town of Deruta.

So, the priority is to change the story about the TOWN'S NAME, let's go for DE - RUTA  (literally from rue, made of rue), the wonderful healing plant of the Renaissance. Rue: the ornamental plant standing on top of the tower and next to the Gryphon. The latter is the official crest for the city of Perugia but which Deruta received at a later date from Perugia, as a gift.

Portrait of Perugino in an exhibition running now in
Perugia. 
Proof question: Why would rue be on top of the crest's tower, which represents Deruta as a castle if the rue were a negligible symbol? If the origin of the name were destroyed we would have a tower in pieces, a puzzle of ceramic pieces, which is actually the situation of the town at this moment. This is telling us that we are on the right path.

As a matter of fact, some time ago out of curiosity I did research about the rue and found out that this plant n the Renaissance period was considered as a healing plant. Rue helped relieve people from the sores of the plague which had haunted Europe for decades. One of the greatest Italian artists of all times, Pietro Vannucci known as Il Perugino died of plague in 1523 and is buried in Fontignano near Città della Pieve where he was born. I go and visit his tomb once in a while as I am very thankful to Perugino. Without him, we would have no Ricco Deruta and no Raffaellesco patterns, this latter created by Raphael, a pupil of Perugino.

Perugino lived a long life for his time, he was 75 years old when he died. In 1478 he painted a beautiful fresco for the Church of Deruta which was an ex-voto, a thank you painting for the defeat of the plague in the town of Deruta. It was ordered by the citizens of Deruta. When I was a little girl this fresco was in the Church of Deruta, afterwards, it was detached from the wall and moved to the town's painting gallery.

While I am writing about the rue and thinking of what I could add to this post, I wish to ask you if you have ever tried Italian grappa flavored with rue.  It tastes really good, it tingles your throat so nicely. There is a twig of rue inside the glass bottle of this beverage, that is where I could actually see the rue for the first time in my life. Leaves match perfectly the painting on top of the tower, they are true rue leaves.

(to be continued...follow me like the rest of 57,000 readers from all over the world, something good must happen out of this moving and shaking of mine)

Perugino, The Saints Romano and Rocco and Blessing God with a view of Deruta, circa 1477-1478,
Deruta Painting Gallery.  



                                                           

- Original Post by Roberta Niccacci -

follow my blog and like my Facebook page: www.facebook.com/friendsofcama
email: friendsofcama@gmail.com 


Nessun commento: