Blog's Translator

venerdì 12 ottobre 2012

IT'S ALL ABOUT WEAVING!

"DARE SPAGO" in Italian means that you are letting someone
express him/herself, you are letting someone have it
his/her way.  Spago in Italian means "cord"
I AM 
AN INTERPRETER

I'm not taking into consideration professional simultaneous interpreting (too fast for me!) chuchotage is ok. However, written translations are my favorite (no loneliness anymore in Facebook times), interpreting artists and meeting customers' needs is my mission!
                                               




                                                                                            ♥ Roberta Niccacci


"DARE SPAGO": Something I have really enjoyed in my life is when someone did let me express myself in what I liked to do: caregiving, teaching, selling ceramics. I appreciated it so much that this is exactly when I gave my best performances. This is the reason why I am using the same method in my new entrepreneurial experience; I am going to be very selective and it is something easy to do for me,  I am letting people in only and if they are "giving cord" to me!
I will test immediately if the eligible artists and producers have "Filo da Tessere" (tr. yarns to be woven), their openness might be there, it must be full openness! I am not looking for people who like to "dare filo da torcere" (tr. to give someone a hard time).
A classical expression of an angel
going through frustration. His effort to save
his favorite good person in the world was useless.
(this Angel is by Giotto, from the
Basilica of Assisi. He must be more polite than
other angels but he /she could not manage
his/her bad feelings)

Cama's best customers and fans know of my recent history: I was forced to abandon all my dreams about my home town Deruta because ceramicists did not need me in the first place, above all they could not understand what I wanted to do. Indeed there was not much I could do except sell their ceramics, rearrange their stores, creating a unifying way of doing business. No way to enter their ceramics factories my way. Among all the ceramicists I "bothered", only one of them fully understood what I wanted to do without much explanation. He was so deep in his understanding that he appreciated my efforts so much and to such an extent that he considered it as a way for Deruta to a healing path. But I am not competing to become the next  Saint of Deruta, St. Roberta of Deruta (maybe St. Robin would sound more international) most of the times Saints did not die in their beds at home, they were grilled on a grate like Saint Lawrence, if you were lucky enough a few angels could come and help, such as in the case of Saint Catherine of Alexandria, Saint Protector of Deruta but the help of the angels was not enough because she died beheaded right afterward, another example of a lucky Saint is Saint Sebastian, angels came and help him the first time, then he insisted with the Emperor and the Emperor ordered to kill him by scourging, who wants to become a Saint? Their problem was INSISTING. Therefore who wants to insist on a town which does not want you? (ceramicists want your customers and they want to keep their power at the same time. Who doesn't want that? They are jealous of their small garden, of course, not to mention the workers who are dead in the heart, they are not willing to cooperate for something innovative, fearful of losing their rights.

Mystics can hear the voice
of Angels, one of them is
St. Cerbone who sang his prayers
at dawn and heard the angels reply.


This is what an angel looks like;
when he/she comes and
help.
They carry wreaths
of flowers in their hands!
They are not undertakers!
Angels want to help you
to stay alive.








A rare image of angels talking,
they have the rule of
silence but here they
were forced to ask for
mutual advice, they do not know
what else to do, someone is under
risk of immediate death,
risking becoming a Saint!
No room for suicide committers
in Paradise. 

This circle of angels is too beautiful! From
the nine Angels' choirs.
Hildegard's Illuminated  Prayers Book
It is a mandala!!!
Additionally, because I do not like to be a tourist guide, I do not want to become a licensed tourist guide, I do not want to be a guide at all, I was forced to leave Deruta for the new horizons leading me towards the borders between Umbria and Tuscany and about a year later after my moving to Piegaro I could scream "TERRA!" (tr. "Land!") like Cristoforo Colombo at the sight of the land which was actually America back in 1492, in times of high Renaissance in Italy. No Derutese should dare to come to my new land, I will close the entrance door to Piegaro, I have the keys to this town, I live in the toll-house of the village, as a matter of fact, everybody from Deruta should ask for my authorization to come in. "Tertium non-datur", Latins said, there will not be a third chance for you, my dear citizens of the beautiful declining town of ceramics.
Cors-Cordis means "Heart"
in Latin. Thinking of the
word "Cord" in
English! "Toto Corde"
means "with all my heart. 
If I were a Saint, St. Robin would be my
popular nickname, and the bird, the
Robin (for Roberta) would be my symbol
of remembrance. It may be included in my personal
coat of arms, like important family
members did in the Renaissance,
same as Popes and Saints. The neck of the Robin
is red from the blood of Christ, for the blood
of Jesus' good heart. 
It is not me who says that. On the contrary, I have tried to help with all my heart like my professional friends tried to, it is the predictions of consultants and market analysts, 80% of the workshops will be gone, only small studios will survive this recession if nothing will be done to fight against it.
This said, I have closed the heavy book about Deruta now and abandoned my dreams of unity for Deruta, which was the first priority to me in order to do a good job. I would have had a lot of work to do but the field was hard to work, the soil too hard to move and ears too strong. As a consequence, I am now concentrating on following the stream of my beautiful new experience on the border between Umbria and Tuscany. I wish to start by understanding where the Italian saying "Dare Spago" comes from. I cannot blow the horn until I have reached a safe shore but I could not resist communicating how happy I am to sleep in peace at night, getting over the sense of guilt I had in Deruta and my unhappiness, my frustration in not being able to help my way. Etymologically "Dare Spago" means that someone leaves allowance to a cord, a rope, deleting limits, giving freedom of action and speech, it comes from the use of attaching animals to a place by the use of a rope, such as a horse, so that it would not go too away. Regarding the English word "CORD", it is amazing how this word has the stem in common with the Latin word "CORS-CORDIS-CORDE", which means HEART!
The reverse of "Dare Spago" (tr. give cord) is "Dare filo da torcere" (tr. to give a hard time) and the meaning clearly comes from the textile industry. Last but not least someone talented "Ha Stoffa", someone talented has fabrics, this is the literal translation. The origin of these Italian sayings will be the subjects of additional posts in the future. I am taking to this new experience all the loyal Cama fans and customers, the Friends of Cama, who come as part of my precious treasure in this new world in Italy!

-----------------------------------------

- Original Posts by Roberta Niccacci -

FRIENDS OF CAMA 
Join the Facebook Page to Receive Blog Updates 

NEW!

Now on Twitter

1 commento:

Roberta Niccacci ha detto...

I strongly believe that the action of getting together with a simple heart can create such a positive energy that customers will be drawn to the values of work beyond the strict and cruel rules of business. Unity will give birth to fruits which cannot be disregarded (by banks above all, one diffused company would be very tough to handle for them). This is the exchange of emails with one of the workshops' onwners I got in touch with during my research in Deruta. I am writing that I have abandoned my researches in Deruta. The answer will show you that this person did not get my message at all.

1. this is my message:
"Ti vorrei comunicare che ho abbandonato le mie prove su Deruta. Ogni
tentativo è stato vano, il feedback è stato negativo, anche il vaso mi ha
dato un segno a suo tempo! Io ci ho provato con tutto il cuore!"

(tr."I would like to inform you that I have abandoned my tests about Deruta. Every
attempt was vain, feedback has been negative, the boken jar
sent me a negative sign! I tried with all my heart! "


2. this is the reply:
"Per quanto riguarda le prove su Deruta, cerca di non prendertela più del
dovuto.
Secondo me hai avuto idee e intuizioni buone ed innovative, ma il momento è
estremamente difficile. Penso che sia solo una questione di tempo, ma presto
o tardi tutti dovremo prendere atto,
che la crisi della maiolica è irreversibile. Forse fra qualche decennio o
secolo potrà esserci una rinascita, come è stato in passato, ma non a breve.

Spero in ogni caso, che tu riesca a mettere a frutto tutto quello che hai
preparato per la maiolica, magari per una tua diversa attività. E' molto
interessante quello che hai fatto e non andrebbe
sprecato."

(tr."As far as your tests in Deruta, try not to take it to heart.
In my opinion you've got good ideas and innovative insights, but the time is
extremely difficult. I think it's only a matter of time, but sooner
or later we will all have to take notice,
that the crisis of majolica is irreversible. Maybe in a few years or a
century there will be a revival, as it was in the past, but not in a short time.
I hope in any case that you will be able to make use of everything you have
prepared for the ceramics, maybe for a different activity of yours. It 's very
interesting what you have done and should not be
wasted."

3. My comment for this post:
This is an example of how people prefer to die rather than giving up on some of their power in business. They seem to know the future, disregarding the present and the people as a source of power for something beautiful to create together.