Blog's Translator

giovedì 5 settembre 2013

"C" for "COLORS"


The symbols of peace (dove) 
and plenty (cat).
Peace is on top of plenty.
Last year I found out something interesting regarding the family crest of an Italian noble family of the area in which I am currently living.  It is important to me because it is related to colors and their meaning.

heraldic dove 
The family crest is divided into two horizontal parts: the upper blue background is on top of the red part, wrapped by a classical gold/yellow ribbon. By looking at the family crest I suddenly felt I could relate to the colors on a personal level: blue for the color of my father's eyes and red for the family's workshop floor at Cama's. 
                                      
The family crest on a fresco surrounded by Renaissance grotesques. 
Heraldic cat
(Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License)

It is thanks to the crest's symbols, the dove and the cat, that I understood the meaning of its colors: blue stands for peace  (a dove carrying an olive sprig), and red stands for abundance (a walking cat with a majestic head).  Indeed the sign of a well-fed cat is indicative of wealth whereas the dove is an international symbol of peace. 











But there is more to it. By studying the relationship between peace and abundance, I also discovered that in mythology peace accompanies plenty, the two allegories are described and painted together. In classical ages, events happened through the action of couples, just like the sparkle of love!

This is my free interpretation of the family crest by looking at it through the eyes of my experience, the colors of my time at Cama, and Renaissance symbolism. I hope you are enjoying my discoveries with me. 

Tiffany Blue or 'Robin's Egg Blue'
One of the pastel shades of red: candy pink
























note: I am learning with this post that the American Robin lays blue eggs. This color is called 'Robin's egg blue'. It's better known as Tiffany blue. I love this color! 


















This is my fourth post of short stories entitled "Cake Stands for Cama": stories about my favorites starting with "C".  I hope you enjoyed it!









                                                                    

-------------


Original Posts by Roberta Niccacci -

FRIENDS OF CAMA 
Join the Facebook Page to Receive Blog Updates 



NEW!

Now on Twitter

Nessun commento: