Blog's Translator

giovedì 5 dicembre 2013

"C" for 'CINNAMON'

 In times past cinnamon was a spice we didn't
 use much in Italy




My father Renato Niccacci visited me in the United States twenty years ago for Christmas. It was his first trip outside of Italy and he had never been on an aeroplane before. He changed flight in Amsterdam and landed in San Francisco with lots of luggage, carrying warm clothes for me, a torciglione homemade cake and above all his bike rider's uniform and accessories. 

We had planned to rent a bike for my father and my friends Nancy and Burt took him to Sausalito to the rental store. My father said the bike we rented for him was almost better than the one he had at home. So his adventures started and that day he went up Mount Tamalpais with his new friend Burt reviving his experience in the Dolomites. 

'Torciglione' is a traditional almond Christmas cake
from my region, Umbria,
shaped as a snake. It brings good luck!
2014 is going to be a good year for my father as he is going to take part in the annual Dolomitenradrundfahrt (bike tour in the Dolomites) July 27th-August 2nd again. He has done this tour for 22 years, however he was not able to take part in the last 5 years race. What warmed up his heart is that no one has taken the race number "1" in all these years out of respect as they considered Renato Niccacci still number "1" bike rider. 

My father enjoyed his visit to the United States very much. Something he discovered was a different food as we do not use the same spices at home. Discovering new horizons is very exciting and it's never too late!






This is my ninth post of short stories entitled "Cake Stands for Cama": stories about my favorites starting with "C".  
I hope you enjoyed it!

ONE MORE POST TO GO. DON'T MISS IT!




------------


FRIENDS OF CAMA 
Join the Facebook Page to Receive Blog Updates 
posted by Roberta Niccacci


NEW!

Now on Twitter

Nessun commento: