Blog's Translator

martedì 16 marzo 2021

Becoming a chameleon

Entrance to Palazzo Vecchio in Florence home to the "Studiolo"
of  Francesco I de' Medici
One expression I have learned about culture is that culture is what remains when you have forgotten everything. Likewise, I could similarly say the same thing about my family's ceramic workshop: we have lost everything made of walls, work instruments, tables & chairs, shelves, samples but...Cama is now part of my DNA. 

Indeed, after so much traveling & researching with Cama in mind, Cama is now definitely under my skin like micro-chips all over my body with the help of some extra personal talents, the so-called soft skills, such as adaptability to the situation and futuristic if related to my vision beyond the horizon. As a consequence, could I have the honor of being called a "camaleonte" in Italian, "chameleon" in English? 

The chameleon in the Italian Renaissance was the symbol of air. A chameleon painted model can be admired in the so-called "Studiolo" of Francesco I de' Medici at Palazzo Vecchio in Florence. The chameleon together with three other symbols represented for that time the founding elements of the universe: earth (precious stones) water (a fantastic fish), air (a chameleon) and fire (a salamander). These elements are respectively located in the room's ceiling, one for each wall, artistically painted by a group of artists guided by Giorgio Vasari between 1570 and 1575. 

Francesco I de' Medici, son to Cosimo I de' Medici, was famous for his chemical experiments. His "Studiolo" was enriched by wooden cabinets, where he kept his glass bottles, elements of study and results. I have visited it a few times and I wrote a dedicated post when I first visited Palazzo Vecchio in 2011. Then I went to Florence in 2013 again and created this post. One important post is apparently lost. I can't find it anymore among the blog drafts neither. 

The post I am talking about contained the photo I took of the "Studiolo" ceiling, portraying the chameleon and the other symbols. No way I can now find their close-ups online. Therefore as soon as the lockdown is over, my first visit outside my region will be to Palazzo Vecchio in Florence. I'll go there by train as usual. This is for sure a promise to me as I am truly grateful to the Italian Renaissance and more inspiration is always welcome! 



The post author's talents by Gallup are as follows (in order of priority): Activator, Adaptability, Communication, Context, Futuristic

FRIENDS OF CAMA's Blog
Renaissance Art Curiosities in Times of Rebirth

Cama® is a cultural brand inspired by the Italian Renaissance.
Like and share our page to join our online events & receive blog post updates.

NEW! Free Italian arts & crafts consulting by sending a message on the Friends of Cama page.

Nessun commento: